Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Its Apple time!

I wish you could smell how wonderful it is in my home right now. Maybe in the future they will invent smellavison laptops. For now, you;ll just have to imagine...Apples, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg.. (sniff)  ahhhhh! If only I could bottle it and save it forever!
  On the way home from the vets office ( Lucy had to have her first set of shots, poor kitty.) I stopped at a road side fruit market and bought a 1/2 bushel of mixed apples.  They were gorgeous.  We love apples!  After I got home and  got everyone situated , kitty had to have a 1/4 dose of Aspirin which she wasn't very receptive to taking!   I immediately set to peeling, coring,  and slicing the apples. Years ago I bought my apple peeler, slicer corer from a home party.  See. I was destined to this lifestyle after all!



 These apples were so juicey!  So much so that apple juice was spraying everywhere, counter tops, cupboards, and the floor.  Not such a good thing, but a small hindrance for this gift.  In no time I had them in the crock pot to begin making  Overnight Applesauce. The recipe is below.  This is a universal recipe. Applesauce, or pie filling. The aroma is just an extra! 
Overnight Applesauce
4 pounds cooking apples peeled, cored and sliced about 12 cups. I have a 10 quart Nesco and I double plus this recipe to fill the pan.
2 cups brown sugar, originally the recipe called for white...boring.
1/3 cups apple cider original... water.
2 T cider vinegar
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/8 tsp ground allspice
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
I double this recipe  and it turns out great.  The origianl recipe is from Michele Lowe of Ohio, but I changed it....quite a bit. Cook for about 5 hours or until apples are no longer crisp.  I either put this into freezer safe containers, or a waterbath canner for 10 mins for pints and or quarts according to the Ball Canning Book for Apple Butter.

No comments: