Sunday, February 26, 2012

Alternative Butter

I made my first batch of alternative butter the other day. I used it in my chocolate chip cookie recipe and it worked out just fine. I think the key is to keep your dough in the  refrigerator between batches.
And I tried it on toast this morning. Yummy! And I love real butter, so this is really saying something!

 Alternative Butter Recipe.
1 cup coconut oil
1 cup any good expeller-pressed oil. I used Olive Oil.
2 tsp salt. I used Kosher.
2 TB liquid lecithin
1 TB McCormick butter flavor. Sadly my grocery did not carry this item so I improvised. I used Butter Buds in place of and it tasted just fine.Blend thoroughly. When smooth continue to blend while adding 1 cup cold water. Place in refrigerator immediately to completely cool and set.
A special Thank You Country Life Natural Foods and Patty LaVanture. You are a blessing to all!







3 comments:

Liquor License New York said...

This really looks delicious. I'm definitely craving for a plate of that right now. Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe. This is definitely a must do recipe this weekend since I got my Food Safety Certification.

Mare said...

Curious as why to use instead of butter.
Is it less expensive? I imagine it is good for you with the coconut & olive oil. Does it keep well?

just discovered your blog, thanks.

Life at Purple Gate Farm said...

Yes. It keeps wonderfully in the fridge as well as on the counter. It has saved me many a times when making cookies and no butter on hand. We like butter also. Loaded question, which is better for you? Id say the alternative. But we like butter too. Moderation, not deprivation. I use to be an avid organic fan, now Im reading that not all uphold the organic standards??? So I made this alternative butter, we like it, I hope you do as well.