Saturday, November 17, 2012

Oatmeal to Go

Our days are busy now that everyone is back to college, work and just on the go. Mornings start here at 4 am, so breakfast gets pushed to just before lunch hour. Making a good, healthy breakfast on these days just isnt going to happen, So that means the Breakfast on the go stuff from the stores.  I really dont like the pre-made stuff from the stores.
 #1 Its expensive
#2 Not enough for my guys to fill up on
#3 What the heck is in them?
I try to duplicate the recipes. First I get an idea usually from others! Im not that smart! Next I go online and research several recipes. Then I make up my own. Like I did here.I take this and that and come up with my own! First what I like to do is collect all the stuff. In this recipe I knew Id be needing a container that could take the heat! Like a Microwave and be some what water tight, to bring it back home in a backpack or lunch box. I found my containers at Walmart. Three  16 0z/ 2 cup with screw on lids, BPA FREE, Microwaveable for $2.17. Perfect! Definitly reuseable too! I also use these for my re fried beans that I freeze! I like these little things!
                                                                Oatmeal to Go Recipe
The thickener. Take 1/4 cup oats and put in blender. Yup! Blenderize it til its like a flour. Thats the secret to the thick oatmeal. Add 2 T to each container.
The main part of this recipe is of course Oatmeal. I used Meijer brand Naturals Quick Oats 1/2 cup to each container.
1/8 tsp Kosher Salt
1/1/2 tsp Vanilla Sugar. Ive posted previously on how to make Vanilla Sugar But here it is again. Take about 6 Vanilla Beans and add 2 cups white sugar into a glass container or plastic with a lid. Wait few days and you will have....Vanilla Sugar. Thanks to my friend Cathy ;)
Now for the mixes. I made up Strawberries and Cream. To the above I added about 1/8 cup of dehydrated Strawberries. The cream part comes from adding 1 T powdered milk. I also added a pinch of nutmeg.
 To mix add 3/4 cup hot water. But Ang, how would one know, on the go, how much is 3/4 cup water???? You may ask. Well my dear on these handy, dandy little containers is a marker 250 ml! Thats where you would fill to with hot water! HA! How cool is that?
Screw on the lid and let sit a spell and its ready to enjoy!
Another mix. Banana Nut. Basically the same. I used about a dozen dried banana chips,I made the mistake of not breaking up the Banana Chips, next time, I would do that! Chopped up walnuts, about the same amount. Maybe you like yours really nutty? Add more. Maybe you dont like nuts at all, than omit! I added 1 1/2 tsp Vanilla sugar and a pinch of nutmeg.
Here are some other varieties Im thinking of trying in the near future.
Craisins and Almonds with White Choc Chips
Blueberries and Cream
Apples and Cinnamon
Cinnamon Raisin with Brown Sugar, in this case No Vanilla Sugar, use the same amount of the Brown Sugar
Apricots and Cream
Get creative! Take a stroll down the dried fruit aisle of your local store for more inspiration!

Give it a try and let me know what ya think!

3 comments:

Kristi said...

This is such a cool idea, Angela! LOVE! *bookmarks*

Life at Purple Gate Farm said...

Kristi, Just make sure you explain to your family, These are to go. I had to make up a biggie batch for just at home...Those are my guys, what can I say! Glad you liked it. Thank you!!!

Life at Purple Gate Farm said...

About reusing the vanilla. Id try a small batch first to see if there was any residual alcohol smell. Im thinking if your homemade vanilla has cured all the alcohol would have evaporated??? Try a small amount then go big..Hopefully I have only posted this once>??? Im such a computer whizz...NOT!