Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Spicy Refrigerator Dill Pickles

12 ( 3-4 inch ) long pickling cucumbers. Truth be told, I use the ones that look more like stumps!
2 cups water
1  3/4  cups white vinegar
 1  1/2 cups chopped fresh dill weed
8 cloves garlic, chopped
1  1/2 T coarse salt
1 T pickling Spice
1  1/2 teaspoons dill seed
 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes or to taste
4 sprigs fresh dill weed
in a large bowl, combine cukes, water, vinegar, chopped dill, sugar, garlic, salt, pickling spice, dill seed, and red pepper flakes. Stir. Let stand at room temp for 2 hours until sugar and salt dissolve.
Remove cukes to three, (sterile) 1  1/2 pint, wide mouth jars, placing 4 cukes into each jar. Ladle in the liquid from the bowl to cover. Place a sprig of fresh dill into each jar and seal with lids. Refrigerate for 10 days before using. Use within a month.
ok, thats there directions. I use those hunken huge cukes that hide out among the vines. I hate to waste food!   I use a half gallon  Ball jar, I dissolve my liquids, then I put everything in! Ohh!!! and guess what? I have kept these longer than a month! As a matter of fact, I still have some from last year in my fridge right now. There you have it, now you know..."Whats wrong with her?"
 She's pickled! Literally ;)


No comments: